There are many things you can create with a sewing machine. With some sewing skills, you can make your own pillow and use it for your own comfort at night. You can also make various types of pillows, whether they are small or big pillows. You can use them for your beds, couches, chairs, and others. Also, you can decorate your pillows if you are skillful enough to do that, and many modern sewing machines will make it easy for you to do that.
One thing that you need to do when creating a pillow for any purpose is to close it with a sewing machine. Sometimes, this is challenging for you to do, as you might need to take several steps just to complete this last step. In this guide, you will learn about how to close a pillow with a sewing machine.
The Challenges of Closing a Pillow with a Sewing Machine
Making a pillow will require you to have quite a good sewing skill, so if you are still a beginner, you might face various challenges when you need to complete this task. The primary challenge of closing a pillow is when you already inserted the pillow materials inside. The pillow will then become bulky, and you might have difficulty putting it under the sewing machine. It will also be difficult for you to keep the pillow in a stable position when you need to stitch it.
The bigger the pillow you make, the more challenging it will be for you to close the pillow. This is the reason you need to have a certain level of sewing skill to make it easier for you to proceed. However, for a beginner, it will be a great way for you to polish and improve your sewing skills. You might make some mistakes at first, but this activity can in fact make you even more skillful with your sewing.
Mistakes You Can Make when Closing a Pillow with a Sewing Machine
Closing a pillow with a sewing machine can be challenging sometimes, which is the reason you can expect to make some mistakes when you do this. Creating a pillow from scratch will require you to do it with meticulous attention, as not to create any potential mistakes later on. Thus, it is important for you to create the pillow with proper measurements as you would expect your pillow size to be. Also, you need to fill the pillow in such a way that you don’t over-stuff or under-stuff it. Here are some mistakes you can make when closing a pillow with a sewing machine:
- The first mistake is closing all the pillow seams before putting any materials inside. You might forget to put the materials inside the pillow and instead close all the seams with the sewing machine before putting any pillow materials inside.
- Also, you might leave too much gap on the seams for you to fill the materials for the pillow, which can be difficult for you to close the pillow seams with the sewing machine later.
- You might forget about creating an outer design for the pillow cover before completing your pillow. It’s important for you to do this before putting any materials inside the pillow.
- It is possible for you to put uncomfortable materials for your pillow, which will make the pillow less comfortable for you to use.
- Some pillow materials can also be dangerous to your health, and if you use them, it will have the potential to disturb your So, pick the materials for the pillow cover and the pillow contents with utmost care.
Step-by-Step Guide to Close a Pillow with a Sewing Machine
Before you can close a pillow with a sewing machine, first you need to know how to make the right pillow cover. To make the right pillow cover, you need to use a comfortable fabric it. Cotton is a good fabric to use, but it’s better to pick the fabric with silky characteristics to make it more comfortable for you to use during the night. Also, the pillow contents need to be soft as well. You shouldn’t use any hard or uncomfortable materials as your pillow contents. Here’s the step-by-step guide to close a pillow with a sewing machine:
- Ensure that you have done all the required steps up to where you need to insert the materials inside the pillow.
- What you need to do is to close three sides of the pillow using the sewing machine, and leave the fourth or last side open.
- After leaving the fourth or last side on the pillow open, you need to close around three-quarters part of the last gap, leaving a small gap for you to insert the pillow materials through it.
- Next, you need to insert soft materials into the pillow through the small gap. Remember, the materials need to comfort you when you use them, even more so if you are using the pillow for your bed.
- After inserting enough materials into the pillow, the last step to take is just to close the small gap in the pillow. Please also note that the number of materials you put inside the pillow and the fluffiness level of the pillow will be up to you.
- Then, you will need to close the small gap with a sewing machine or hand sewing. It’s preferable for you to sew the small gap by hand, but if you want to use a sewing machine, you need to allow a certain area around the small gap to be empty. This will give you enough room to put the pillow under your sewing machine.
- You just completed making your own pillow. Closing the last small gap might be difficult with a sewing machine, but if you leave enough room around that area empty, you can do it with ease.
Additional Tips You Can Follow
Closing a pillow with a sewing machine is something that you can’t do all the time. Sometimes, you need to make adjustments to make things easier to do. So, here are some additional tips you can follow:
- For big pillows, it might not be possible for you to put them under the sewing machine, so it might be better for you to use hand stitches to close the pillow.
- The needle for hand stitching should be big enough to handle the pressure of the pillow, and you also need to use a strong thread to stitch it.
- Sometimes, it’s better for you not to fill up the pillow, as it’s important for you to leave some space for the pillow to “breathe”.
- The best choice of materials you can use is feather-type materials, and if you use this material, it will be easier for you to close the pillow with a sewing machine.
These additional tips can help make it easier for you to complete making your pillow. For beginners, you might need to try several times before you can apply the right stitches on the pillow.
- How do you sew a pillow closed with a sewing machine? Create a space inside the pillow, so you can put the pillow under the sewing machine. You can’t do this if the pillow is too big or fluffy, as the machine wouldn’t accommodate it, which is the reason you need to create a space around the last gap on the pillow. As an alternative, you can hand stitch the last gap on the pillow, as this is often preferable for most people.
- What stitch is best to close a pillow? It’s best to use the ladder or slip stitch, as this type of stitch will look perfect on your pillow. Closing a pillow with hand stitching is quite easy, as there is not much area you need to close. Just be sure to use the right needle and thread size.
- How do you close the end of a pillow? You can do it either by a sewing machine or by hand. It’s preferable to do it by hand since there is not many areas to stitch, so it will be easy for you to do. But you can also use the sewing machine by allowing some space around the gap and not fluffing your pillow with too many materials.
- How do you close a pillow with a hidden stitch? Your pillow will look better when you apply the hidden stitch when closing the gaps. There are various hidden stitch types you can use to close your pillow. The ladder stitch type is perhaps the preferable one you can use, as it doesn’t involve any complicated steps to do.
Now, you’ve learned about how to close a pillow with a sewing machine. It’s easy to close the last gap with the sewing machine if you create enough space around the gap. You can also do it by hand, and most people will prefer the hand stitching method. The last gap doesn’t require a lot of stitching, so you can do it in just a few minutes. Enjoy!